Road Legal 4WD Forums

The forums of the Road Legal 4WD Association, members, chapters and clubs.
  1. Ryan Harden
  2. Communication
  3. Tuesday, 20 November 2018
  4.  Subscribe via email
Motorola just came out with a Beartooth killer. A $50 radio that does everything the Beartooth unit does and it has 35 MILES of range with the off-grid smartphone/mesh network. That's pretty incredible and I'm a big fan of the Motorola antennas and radios so this is darn exciting.

Here's the video

Info -
The TALKABOUT T800 allows you to share and track locations with your travel companions. No cell service, no problem. Just download the TALKABOUT App, connect your smartphone via Bluetooth and you now have the ability to locate a friend’s campsite, share your current location and send messages, all while exploring off-grid. You can also control your radio setting from the TALKABOUT app. Skiing, hunting or at a music festival, the T800 has an IPX4 rating and a range of up to 35 miles* to keep you connected no matter where your adventures lead.

I'm in. I have to test these as it allows the use of map and location sharing off-grid. These can be huge for groups or trail guides when you know where each group is.

Here's where to get em. https://amzn.to/2qYwtLa
Attachments (5)
References
  1. https://amzn.to/2qYwtLa
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I just watched the video That looks pretty impressive I'm willing to invest in that for communication just need a few more people to test it out with
Comment
  1. Ryan Harden
  2. 4 weeks ago
WQell if you get a set and I get a set that's 4 radios we can test out at Sinawa to see how the mesh network does. I'll order mine today then.
  1. 4 weeks ago
  2. Communication
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Contrary to the advertising claims of practically all consumer radio manufacturers, under typical conditions 1-2 miles is the most range you can reasonably expect from a consumer grade radio like this. Manufacturers commonly make claims of "30 mile range" or more, and this is only achievable when there are no obstructions at all, such as when one person is on a mountaintop talking to someone in a valley below.

However the bluetooth connectivity to your cellphone makes this radio something interesting. Instead of using the cellular system, it uses the FRS radio. So you could conceivably be able to send text messages and GPS location information, but remember to expect only a few mile range. It would be something fun to try out on our next excursion.

At the last Camp Sinawa event, Regan was amazed at how far he could communicate to us on the trail while he was driving in. He was on both CB and FRS radio. Remember that there were no leaves on the trees, so there was nothing obstructing our signal. Radio range is dependent on many factors. Just because the box says so, doesn't make it true.
Comment
  1. 4 weeks ago
  2. Communication
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
I believe the mesh network runs in the AMPS 800 or 900 MHz band like the Beartooth units do which is the old cellular network band. Unlike the current 1900 MHz cell bands, these have a longer range but more limited data capacity. It would be really neat to see if we can make repeaters for these frequencies but I'm sure that's not legal and I would have no idea how to do it haha.
Comment
  1. 4 weeks ago
  2. Communication
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
I just ordered a set from<a target="_blank" href="http://www.twowayradiocenter.com" rel="nofollow">http://www.twowayradiocenter.com</a>. They are $99.00. If you enter code TW you get 10% off and free shipping! Total was only $89.10.
Comment
  1. Ryan Harden
  2. 2 weeks ago
Sweet. Been playing with our set for a week. Not bad but not like Beartooth in that the data seems to transmit on FRS not the old 800mhz cell phone band.
  1. 2 weeks ago
  2. Communication
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
I've been playing with my new set of Talkabout T800 radios. I have 2 cell phones, so I have each radio paired to a different phone. The text messaging works great. I haven't been able to test the "send my location" feature, since each radio/phone combo is within feet of each other. I'm looking forward to trying these out on the trails. I have also downloaded the offline map for Camp Sinawa, so I am all set for our activity in January.

My only negative comment on the Talkabout T800's (other than their claim for up to 35 mile range) is their belt clips. They are GARBAGE. Cheap plastic clips that don't have a hinge in them. You just pry them open to insert over your belt or pocket. If you were able to get them clipped to your belt, you would never be able to get them off without breaking them.

Instead I ordered these radio cases from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0108HOH2Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 These cases for the Talkabout T800's like they were made for them.
Comment
  1. one week ago
  2. Communication
  3. # 5
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.