Road Legal 4WD Forums

The forums of the Road Legal 4WD Association, members, chapters and clubs.
  1. Chris Chevrier
  2. Overlanding
  3. Wednesday, 11 March 2020
  4.  Subscribe via email
Wishing shopping for an overlanding was as easy as it was putting in a two inch suspension upgrade.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
It all depends on your needs, budget, and what’s practical to you. I like my 4Runner for its small size to fit a wider variety of trails. My brother loves his Power Wagon for its large size and comfort. I’m limited in tow capacity at 5000 pounds, Wrangler is even less, and Power Wagon is more than us put together. I have a rear locker and like a Wrangler Rubicon he has front and rear lockers with sway bar disconnect. He also has a 12,000 lb Warn factory winch. I honestly wish I would’ve thought more outside the box. Lifts on my 4Runner also fit Lexus models that have a v8. Or the not so flashy Sequioa fits Tundra suspension. I think a Gladiator long wheel base would be terrible rock crawling but phenomenal overlanding. Some great after market support for the Ranger and the ZR2 bison is awesome right off the floor.
Comment
  1. 3 weeks ago
  2. Overlanding
  3. # 1
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Josh, I set up a 99 Ford Explorer with a 2 in lift and it was awesome for the trails I use to take into the backcountry. Wish I still had that thing. Was thinking Toyota 4Runner but there again I know second and third gens have solid rear axel, but not sure if 4 and 5 do. Looking to not go longer than a 4Runner. Even thought about something like an 07 explorer before the bubble but there again not a solid rear axel. Guess I will just keep looking.
Comment
Think I am going to look at or for I should say, a grand Cherokee. Like maybe a fourth generation
  1. Joshua Wendt
  2. 3 weeks ago
My 5th gen 4runner is body on frame. Solid rear with locker. Independent front. My Commander and those 05 to 10 Grand Cherokees are nice but it took so much more money to build because bolt ons are harder to come by
With being a UAW union member I’d like to stick with a union meeting vehicle but that being said I understand where you’re coming from with the Cherokees in grand Cherokees due to the fact that I looked on trail built Afro.com to see what kind a Lyft I could get for grand Cherokee say a 2011 or newer and it was only a 2.5 inch I’m looking more at a 3 inch nothing to grand but would like a little bit more height this time so before I told ignore you know what Chief Scott and let Ford Scott I am going to just continue looking at the different ways with different things and pricing both the vehicle and the suspension lift out at the same t with being a UAW union member I’d like to stick with a union meeting vehicle but that being said I understand where you’re coming from with the Cherokees and grand Cherokees due to the fact that I looked on trail built off-road.com to see what kind a Lyft I could get for grand Cherokee say a 2011 or newer and it was only a 2.5 inch I’m looking more at a 3 inch nothing to grand but would like a little bit more height this time so before I told ignore UAW made jeep and white Ford I am going to just continue looking at the different ways with different things and pricing both the vehicle and the suspension lift out at the same time. Also was thinking the old Ford Explorer Sport tracks
  1. 3 weeks ago
  2. Overlanding
  3. # 2
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!