Road Legal 4WD Forums

The forums of the Road Legal 4WD Association, members, chapters and clubs.
  1. Ryan Harden
  2. Sherlock Holmes
  3. Camp Sinawa
  4. Monday, 02 March 2020
  5.  Subscribe via email
Jess and I donated the shack years ago. It sits in the grassy campsite area on the west side and is the only building out there really. We use it to store chairs tiki torches and a grill. I would like to rebuild the roof and put it someplace not so wet. It's modular so the whole thing can be taken apart or it's light enough or if you have enough people you can just carry the whole thing.

While the walls are very sturdy, the roof needs new trussing and decking. I had gotten some shingles donated and they're sitting in front of it which makes it look unsightly and Link and I painted it to try and preserve it a few years ago as well.

This is a 12x12 it's not very big and there are some chairs and a table and a grill in it. I want to try and save this shack so that trail ambassadors and their guests can have a place to sit, stretch, and relax on the west side.

The objectives would be to lay a new gravel foundation in the grassy campsite, remove the roof, carry the walls to the new area, and then build the trussing, lay the roof boards, toss on the shingles, and it'll be good for many years to come for all to enjoy without having to hoist chairs everywhere.

We could do this as a save the shack campaign? A commemorative shirt and maybe camping out on the west side with ride to follow on Sunday if we get done in time? If we had 20 people who knew what they were doing, a foreman who could lead us in the direction, I bet you we could finish the whole thing in a morning and just ride and camp the rest of the weekend.

The alternative will be it will be torn down and burned, lost forever in the ashes. If we all come up with a name we'll put a plaque on it with your names, the association etc. We can use the donation module here to raise funds for whatever we need, I just need to know what we need lol.

Here's a picture from 2014 of it going to it's current location.
IMG_20141109_155543581.jpg
Attachments (1)
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
May camping date?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
I would be willing to help, schedule depending. Unfortunately I work pretty much every Saturday until 3 from now until the end of June. I'll keep an eye on the date as it developes.
Comment
  1. Ryan Harden
  2. 1 month ago
Could do a Sunday too if that fits better.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Here's what I'm thinking, tell me if I'm off or not...

Trail Ambassadors would be able to use this building as they see fit. Maybe we keep an air compressor and such in there so we have all that on the west side anytime we need it? Extra recovery gear, lighting, etc. as well.

$150-$200 for a load of pit run or gravel base. We won't need a full load, but then we have some material for filling in mud or trail things we'll need.

$500 wood for rebuilding the base and truss.

(6) 4x8 roof boards $20 each or less $120

(8) Pro-Rib Steel Panels $20 each then top? Metal roofing it would be the best way to never have to do this again? $200

I have screws and nails I'd donate to the cause as I'm sure others do as well.

Total project rebuild campaign: $750-$1,500?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
May is open for me. I can help
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Alright, William Thompson based on your PM to me, how about you take control of the shack needs. Tell me what you want the donation campaign set to based on what you think will work. I can go out there and take some pictures and videos of what it looks like right now so you can get a better idea of what's needed?

I'll work on coordinating people, signs, posts, maybe Dick Schmidt has time and a date he can bring the bobcat to pour in the gravel?

We can make it a full work weekend to get this done right, brushed up, and get the camp ready for Summer.

I'll get with Sara Nelson and confirm what west side date works for her. I can't do May 15th weekend but it looks like everything else is open thus far.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
I would love to help, that’s what I did for a living for the last 20 years. The only week and I have open in May is the last weekend the 30th.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
I don't have a lot of great pictures of the shack but here's a video you can see it in. It's been repaired some since then and new roof boards were put on, but a lack of volunteers and materials ended up wrecking the roof once again. I wanted to move it to the right side of that medieval wall tent in the woods or on the corner of the trail that leads to the log crawl. Both are higher ground and not in the mud. Sara Nelson and I need to scout back there and finalize a plan on where to put it.

Again, I think this would be a great place for Trail Ambassadors to store chairs, gear, etc. that'll be needed for weekly rides. Then you don't have to carry as much each trip, yet have the option to relax and mingle after a ride around the nearby fire pit. It really allows for better events when you have that stuff and I want all that to be available for our groups.

And yes, I'm a big nerd and do larp stuff besides jeep stuff. Teaching people through living history and getting people playing in the woods is something that's a real passion for me.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
I am willing to lead the construction at the camp or be a nail pounder if some one else would like to lead. . I don't really want to be the guy chasing everything and everyone down leading up to it . That would make me crazy. I can certainly help advising whomever wants that role. As many people that want to help, that maybe don't have the hands on construction skills, that would be a good way to volunteer. I would like to get a look at the shack as it is before investing time or the clubs money into it to make sure it seems worth while. I am concerned about the walls not having anchors (like to a foundation) and think maybe building a wooden floor on top of the gravel might not me a good thing to do. I built a shed like this about 35 years ago that is on its last legs now, without the floor I think a good wind would be fatal. I would bring my carpenter van to the site so that we would have literally any tool/s at our disposal.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 8
Votes
Undo
I can get whatever supplies you want or need. Managed Forest rules say the building can't be permanent and this thing has withstood lots of weather and tree limbs falling on it. I'm just not in this field and lack the knowledge on how to build a roof properly. If you say we need a wooden floor, as long as it's not secured to the ground, I think it'll be ok? Whatever the experts say, I'm good with.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 9
Votes
Undo
In fact a floor might be good so Sara Nelson or Dick Schmidt can put forks under it and move it as they need or want to?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 10
Votes
Undo
A wood floor would be super quick to do with minimum extra cost. Some prefabbed trusses would be the way to go, they would have to be ordered. If this starts to gain momentum I can give you a guess of a lumber list. but trusses would need to be ordered quick to have in time. 5 commons and 2 gables take the outer measurements of the walls (you said 12' but check please) add in what ever you think for over hang (suggest 8" ) and btw I am not getting notification of activity on this forum, I did get notification of someone liking my TA page a little while ago so some is working
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 11
Votes
Undo
Ok I'll go out and measure today.

As for emails, does it say you're subscribed?
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Attachments (3)
Comment
yup I am subscribed at the top header. next to the RSS tab. I dont know where to find the other things yet.
everything was turned on, except push, i just turned that on lets see if that takes care of it
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 12
Votes
Undo
So I know it was mentioned that there are shingles for it but I have several full sheets of steel roofing that were left over from my pervious house. I'll have to go get an exact measurement and count but they've never been used. I believe there's 5 sheets which looks like it would be enough. Other thing is I would need help from someone with a big enough trailer to transport them.
Comment
what is their length? and width?
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 13
Votes
Undo
Just wondering what’s happening with this? I might be able to help the first weekend in May, I should be back from Jeep beach by then.
Comment
  1. 3 weeks ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 14
Votes
Undo
We can push it out into May further to have more time to look at this. May 1st is the opening weekend of Tigerton and all the trail ambassadors are trying to get up there to help manage it.

We should probably set a work day up for May for the building stuff. Moving it across the field to the intersection would work and it's fairly flat. Just have to confirm with Sara.
Comment
Ok. Last weekend of May. Or during the week if any one else can do it.
  1. 3 weeks ago
  2. Camp Sinawa
  3. # 15
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!