Michael Collette
Ron Gundrum
William Thompson
New guy here
3082 Hits
0 Votes
3 Replies
Posted on Monday, 29 October 2018

Hey everyone I just joined this group and just got JL Rubicon a couple months ago so I'm pretty much a rookie when it comes to off-roading but I've be...

Changlog
Ryan Harden
Expert Forum User
0 Likes
0 Votes
60 Replies
Posted on Sunday, 10 February 2019
2018 South Dakota Badlands Trip
Ryan Harden
Expert Forum User
10 Likes
0 Votes
28 Replies
In Trips
Posted on Thursday, 30 November 2017
  • Done
    • #South
    • #Dakota
    • #Badlands
    • #Black
    • #Hills
    Yaesu FTM-400XDR Mobile Ham Radio
    Ryan Harden
    Expert Forum User
    2 Likes
    1 Votes
    17 Replies
    Posted on Thursday, 09 May 2019
  • Done
    • #Wrangler
    • #Jeep
    • #4x4
    • #Ham
    • #Radio
    • #Yaesu
    • #FTM-400XDR
    The Shack Rebuild
    Ryan Harden
    Expert Forum User
    0 Likes
    0 Votes
    16 Replies
    Posted on Monday, 02 March 2020
    Black Knight Build
    Ryan Harden
    Expert Forum User
    4 Likes
    1 Votes
    15 Replies
    Posted on Tuesday, 30 April 2019
    • #Wrangler
    • #Black
    • #Jeep
    • #JLUR
    • #Knight
    • #Build
    Membership Overview
    Ryan Harden
    Expert Forum User
    5559 Hits
    0 Votes
    0 Replies
    Posted on Tuesday, 28 November 2017
    Changlog
    Ryan Harden
    Expert Forum User
    5284 Hits
    0 Votes
    60 Replies
    Posted on Sunday, 10 February 2019
    Trail Communication
    Ryan Harden
    Expert Forum User
    4233 Hits
    0 Votes
    0 Replies
    Posted on Friday, 31 August 2018
    Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail Mapping
    Ryan Harden
    Expert Forum User
    3809 Hits
    0 Votes
    1 Replies
    Posted on Tuesday, 07 August 2018
    • #RL4WD
    • #Trail
    • #Wisconsin
    • #4x4
    • #Trans
    • #Adventure
    Top Remover
    Ryan Harden
    Expert Forum User
    3740 Hits
    0 Votes
    1 Replies
    Posted on Tuesday, 29 May 2018
    • #Wrangler
    • #JL
    • #Hard Top
    • #Removal

Road Legal 4WD Forums

The forums of the Road Legal 4WD Association, members, chapters and clubs.
    1. Ryan Harden
    2. Sherlock Holmes
    3. Ham Radio Digital Forums
    4. Friday, 07 February 2020
    5.  Subscribe via email
    So should we look at having our own dedicated chatroom on System Fusion (cuz it works with the repeater if we get the stuff to do it).

wiresx.jpg

I have an older computer I could dedicate for it if we got a Yaesu Wires-X HRI-200 - https://amzn.to/376gPjl then we have a way to chat in our own room at any time. The computer is a laptop so I think it would work with the repeater as well if we had a cell hotspot which I can do with my google fi account (free sim cards). We also have a DR-2X repeater that can use this.

Here's a video that talks about WiresX and how to hotspot from our favorite Jeeper Ham k6UDA.
    Attachments (1)
    Comment
    There are no comments made yet.
    Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
    Votes
    Undo
    I would be on board for this. Happy to pitch in too for the HRI. I've been using the PDN mode of my FTM400 & FT3DR and it works pretty decent, just not dedicated.

As a Google Fi user as well, our data-only SIMs are limited to the T-Mobile network. We have found it to be very sparse outside of populated areas in WI and MI. We have just been using our phones as hotspots and it works much better because we can take advantage of the Sprint and US Cellular networks.
    Comment
    1. Ryan Harden
    2. 3 months ago
    I wasn't aware the SIM card only worked on T-Mobile That's a bummer. I usually tether from my phone anyway. Generally speaking we will try to put the base station wherever there's a campground with a good Wi-Fi connection. Even a tethered phone could be pretty spotty and I have no idea how much bandwidth the repeater would use. I can't imagine it would be much.
    1. Ryan Harden
    2. 1 month ago
    Looks like these are on sale right now at HRO for $125. Toss in whatever you feel comfortable with here https://rl4wd.com/donate and we'll pick this up and set it up.
    Done. Left a little for others.
    1. Ryan Harden
    2. 1 month ago
    AWESOME!!! Thank you!
    1. more than a month ago
    2. Ham Radio Digital Forums
    3. # 1
    Votes
    Undo
    I think we need to "keep it simple" Not everyone will have the equipment or temperament for the more advanced features. It's hard enough getting people to get their HAM license without overloading them.
    Comment
    1. more than a month ago
    3. # 2
    Votes
    Undo
    I did hesitate to post this here Dick Schmidt as I also have concerns about overwhelming people since this radio stuff has so many different layers to it. However then I got the thinking, a lot of you are veteran hammers and use most of this complex stuff as part of your daily lives so I guess putting it in its own separate forum area kind of keeps it separate? The more I learn about all the different things you can do the more excited I get that all these options are possible.

I've never even been in a digital room yet only played with digital voice stuff... I understand enough to get excited about it but yeah there's always a word of caution about getting too techy but there again, our group is comprised of so many individuals on so many different levels.

At the end of the day we're not requiring anybody to be ham radio operators but there's going to be a good handful of us in this group that are licensed and use the technology on our rides to the point where if you don't have a ham radio, there's just some things you're not going to be able to do. If you don't have a digital ham radio there are just some things you won't be able to do... The group will decide what and how to communicate based on what people have I guess.
    Comment
    1. more than a month ago
    3. # 3
    Votes
    Undo
    Update on this project. Michael Collette and I worked on getting things set up for this last week. I somehow lost the room and password info sent from Yaesu months ago so I called today and talked with the California office. We're ready to host this I just need the server info which they are sending me and then I'll report the room ID when it's here.
    Comment
    Votes
    Undo
    I got all the stuff needed to make this go live in an email from Japan this morning. I Will see if I can get it up tonight!
    WIRES-X Room ID: 61464
    Comment
    "I Will see if I can get it up tonight!"

That didn't come out right. :o
    But . . . if you DO get it up, I will be happy to give it a try with you.
    1. Ryan Harden
    2. 2 weeks ago
    Baaa hahaha ya I guess I wasn't thinking about that. Just got done cutting the grass so heading to the shack here in a bit.
    Votes
    Undo
    Is it hooked up to a repeater, antenna, or just digital?
    Comment
    1. Ryan Harden
    2. 2 weeks ago
    Right now it's just digital. I have the room active as 65130 RL4WD but I can't get the 400XDR to transmit. It says off frequency transmit error. I'll leave the PC running and room up tonight but after monkeying with this for many hours, I'm frustrated and going to bed.
    1. Ryan Harden
    2. 2 weeks ago
    I need to update the repeater and connect it to that, I have two antennas and poles to put both antennas up, but missing some adapters and such yet. For me, this is a daunting learning curve, but I'm getting it slowly but surely!
    Votes
    Undo
    Room graphic updated. Have it set up at work now with blazing fast speeds.
    HamWiresX.JPG
    Attachments (1)
    Comment
    Votes
    Undo
    Anyone want to jump on and help test this?
    Comment
    Digital only still? I can bust out my connector for my laptop. Give me a few...
    1. Ryan Harden
    2. 2 weeks ago
    Ya, right now it is. I wonder if I hook up the GP9 outside if you could hit it from Brillion
    Is your node up? Not finding it.
    Nvm. Wrong room id. :D
    ok, just got connected
    Votes
    Undo
    Thanks Don Mascarella and Michael Collette for helping test things last night. We've confirmed that people in the room can talk to each other no problem, but for some reason, I can't get in with the handheld through the ftm400 we have dedicated to this device.

I did order the little adapters for the antennas to try this through the repeater and I'll keep pushing buttons to get the 400 working right. So others know, we're making it so you could be at an event and connect to the wires x digital room through the repeater if we're someplace that has internet. This is useful for sending Trail Ambassador data to the home office dispatch off-grid, keeping in contact with people who can jump into the room via internet or PC, etc. It's also a way we can link repeaters together someday when we have more chapters with their own repeaters for real-time radio contact anywhere we have these set up.

In the end, if you have a Yaseu digital radio for as little as $175, you could connect to our global network with the same radio you use for trail communication. When it's set up right, it'll just be the push of a button and you'll be ready to rock and roll.
    Comment
    Votes
    Undo
    Hooking up the dedicated computer tonight. The antenna adapters should be here tomorrow so in and around Kiel, folks should be able to patch into our room via my node. It's my hope that I can figure this out so even the analog regular radios will be able to access our wires x room through the node or repeater. This is a lot to learn while I'm very busy, but trying my best here to get this ready before big snow. Someplace we can try this out in a live setting with the repeater.
    Comment
    1. Ryan Harden
    2. 1 week ago
    Messed around with this for another 4 hours last night. Now this PC won't keep the port rules in the firewall. I can open the ports but when you restart, those rules disappear. Never had that before, but this project is getting downright ridiculous in time spent. I need a wires x Elmer, so hard to sit down for 3 hours and watch all the tutorials on all this stuff and follow the manuals. This is NOT my wheelhouse of tech... but, will do what I always do and just trudge on. You know... trudging? To trudge? To trudge... the slow, weary, depressing, yet determined walk of a man who has nothing left in his life, except the impulse to simply soldier on.
    Votes
    Undo
    Ummm.... I think I got it set up right! Should stay live now
    Comment
    • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
    Be one of the first to reply to this post!