Road Legal 4WD Forums

The forums of the Road Legal 4WD Association, members, chapters and clubs.
  1. Ryan Harden
  2. Sherlock Holmes
  3. Ham Radio Digital Forums
  4. Friday, 07 February 2020
  5.  Subscribe via email
So should we look at having our own dedicated chatroom on System Fusion (cuz it works with the repeater if we get the stuff to do it).

I have an older computer I could dedicate for it if we got a Yaesu Wires-X HRI-200 - https://amzn.to/376gPjl then we have a way to chat in our own room at any time. The computer is a laptop so I think it would work with the repeater as well if we had a cell hotspot which I can do with my google fi account (free sim cards).

Here's a video that talks about WiresX and how to hotspot from our favorite Jeeper Ham k6UDA.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I would be on board for this. Happy to pitch in too for the HRI. I've been using the PDN mode of my FTM400 & FT3DR and it works pretty decent, just not dedicated.

As a Google Fi user as well, our data-only SIMs are limited to the T-Mobile network. We have found it to be very sparse outside of populated areas in WI and MI. We have just been using our phones as hotspots and it works much better because we can take advantage of the Sprint and US Cellular networks.
Comment
  1. Ryan Harden
  2. 1 week ago
I wasn't aware the SIM card only worked on T-Mobile That's a bummer. I usually tether from my phone anyway. Generally speaking we will try to put the base station wherever there's a campground with a good Wi-Fi connection. Even a tethered phone could be pretty spotty and I have no idea how much bandwidth the repeater would use. I can't imagine it would be much.
Votes
Undo
I think we need to "keep it simple" Not everyone will have the equipment or temperament for the more advanced features. It's hard enough getting people to get their HAM license without overloading them.
Comment
Votes
Undo
I did hesitate to post this here Dick Schmidt as I also have concerns about overwhelming people since this radio stuff has so many different layers to it. However then I got the thinking, a lot of you are veteran hammers and use most of this complex stuff as part of your daily lives so I guess putting it in its own separate forum area kind of keeps it separate? The more I learn about all the different things you can do the more excited I get that all these options are possible.

I've never even been in a digital room yet only played with digital voice stuff... I understand enough to get excited about it but yeah there's always a word of caution about getting too techy but there again, our group is comprised of so many individuals on so many different levels.

At the end of the day we're not requiring anybody to be ham radio operators but there's going to be a good handful of us in this group that are licensed and use the technology on our rides to the point where if you don't have a ham radio, there's just some things you're not going to be able to do. If you don't have a digital ham radio there are just some things you won't be able to do... The group will decide what and how to communicate based on what people have I guess.
Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!